The 1. Panzerdivision was a veteran unit which already participated at the Polish campaign in 1939. It was assigned to 16th Army during the initial attack on France and then assigned to the Panzer Group Guderian for the final attack. It remained in France until August 1940 in the area around Aisne. Afterwards it was transferred to East Prussia.
Commanding General: Gen. Maj. Friedrich Kirchner
The division was equipped with Panzer II, III and IV.
[Last Update 30.08.2010]